Navigating the NARST Annual Conference




As a newcomer to NARST and the community, attending the annual conference can be intimidating. There are 15 strands, three different types of presentations, two poster sessions, and plenary sessions – not to mention the various workshops and other events in the morning and evenings. And people…all the people! As a new scholar, I remember being “star struck” by seeing the people whose work I would read in coursework and my own research. All of this can be intimidating as a newcomer. Over my six years attending NARST, I have identified a few meaningful ways to become involved:

1.     Mentor-Mentee Nexus
This is a NARST-sponsored event to help new scholars or relatively new scholars become acquainted with and navigate the conference.  Each mentee is paired with a mentor (sometimes two mentees are paired with one mentor, depending on numbers) and they meet during the first evening of the conference. The first goal is to learn what NARST is and how to navigate the conference. The second goal is to discuss the mentee’s research interests and seek to introduce them to other scholars with the same/similar interests.
             I attended the Mentor-Mentee Nexus as a mentee during my second year attending NARST. Myself and one other new scholar were assigned to a mentor who talked with us during the Nexus about the conference and asked about our research. We talked about ways to get involved during the conference (some of which are listed below) and how to decide which sessions to attend. Our relationship did not extend beyond the Mentor-Mentee Nexus, but others who attended did have more extensive conversations and communication with their mentors. The Nexus does provide an opportunity to meet other scholars at NARST and begin to build a network of relationships on your path of membership in the Science Education community.

2.     Graduate Student Forum and Graduate Student Social
Another NARST-sponsored event is the Graduate Student Forum. This event provides an opportunity for graduate students to come together as colleagues with other seasoned scholars to learn and discuss the different aspects of graduate student scholar life during different stages of the graduate student career and beyond. This year (similar to last year) there will be around 12 round table discussions that range from Early Years of Graduate School to Publishing to Developing your CV and Navigating the Job Market. There will be a chance to participate in two round table discussions during the Forum and each is led by a scholar with experience with that topic. I have attended this event in the past and have never been disappointed.
The Graduate Student Forum is followed by the Graduate Student Social (not NARST-sponsored) organized by the Graduate Student Committee as an opportunity for all graduate students to spend time together in a social setting. This is an opportunity to meet, socialize, and share drinks with other graduate students and discuss all aspects of graduate life (and beyond),. Further information will be shared via email and the Graduate Student Website once a location is determined.

3.     Which sessions to attend?
      One of the first big challenges when attending NARST is determining which sessions to attend. There are 15 strands and three types of presentations: Regular sessions, Related Paper Sets, and Symposiums. Regular sessions are sessions with stand-alone papers. Related paper sets are sessions with papers that are organized around a unifying theme. Symposiums are sessions with one group presenting throughout the sessions in a format of their choice that all relate to the same theme and often are from the same research group or organization. I use a few different methods for deciding which sessions to attend:
(a)   I don’t know what research I am interested in yet: I attended a broad range of sessions in the few strands I was interested in to get a sense of the field.
(b)  I know my research interests: I look for sessions with authors I know or have read who do similar work to where my interests lie, and (b) I look for related paper set sessions or symposium sessions with titles that relate to my research, as I know these sessions will give more coherence to the presentations and my thinking about my research.
(c)   I want to expand my research interests: I attended sessions in other strands focusing on particular research topics or methodologies that would expand my own interests.
            Other people have other methods for deciding which sessions to attend, but I have found these methods to be helpful ways to navigate the conference in productive ways.

4.     What to do in the sessions?
            Another challenge has been knowing how to get the most benefit out of each session I attend. One way that was suggested to me by my Mentor was to purposefully ask one question during each session. The question could be about a study’s presentation, participants, method, extending the research, or anything else. Doing this has given me confidence to speak out when intimidated by other scholars in the session and to think more deeply how my own research relates to what was presented and how each can support and extend the other. I also make a concerted effort to talk with presenters after the session ends to get their papers and their contact information as a way to follow up after the session. This has led to a variety of contacts, as well as friendships.

5.     Meeting with a Scholar in Your Field
            I have also learned that one of the most beneficial aspects of NARST (or any conference) is not necessarily the sessions or events, but the impromptu or planned meetings with other scholars outside of sessions. I purposefully identified one scholar (often a seasoned scholar) who I contact either prior to NARST or talk with during an early session and set up a time to sit down and talk with them about their research. I have planned questions to ask that help move my own thinking forward. This has been one of the most fruitful experiences during NARST and has led to many wonderful academic and personal connections with other, more seasoned scholars in the field.

6.     See the City!
            My final suggestion is one that I have learned over the years: Visit at least one site in the city! Attending session after session can be exhausting and also draining when you are “on” for days on end. As scholars we have the opportunity to attend conferences and other events in unique places around the country and world. Remember to tell yourself that it is okay to not attend one or two sessions and use that time to visit some places in the city. Don’t forget your own self care: Rest, relax, and be a tourist!


Comments