A Dialogue Reflecting on the Sandra K. Abell Institute for Doctoral Students



In June 2017, the Sandra K. Abell Institute for Doctoral Students was held for one week in Taipei, Taiwan. Taipei is a wonderful city with some of the most superb, welcoming people we have ever met. However, to provide blow-by-blow accounts of our time in Taipei would be of little value to any future Abell Institute attendees. Instead, we will attempt to summarize our experiences of the Institute in a way that captures what was most special about it to us from our respective perspectives, while also giving you a sense of what the experience might be like for you.

Liam – University of Limerick, Ireland

It was June 22nd 2017, somewhere in Turkish airspace hurtling at 500mph towards Taipei. Despite the speed, there was still more than 10 hours of flight time remaining. I close my eyes and try to anticipate what the coming few days would be like. But I couldn’t, at least not with any great clarity. The Sandra K. Abell Doctoral Institute would be a very new experience for me. I had no point of reference as to what might be in store. I had no similar experiences and no colleagues who had already been. Even if I had, this was the first time it was being held outside of the USA! It was very new territory indeed.

Noelle – Temple University, USA

I began my journey approximately 3 days before Liam. I boarded an 11pm flight out of JFK and tucked myself in for the first leg of my journey; about 19 hours long. Having a 7.5 hour layover in Shanghai, China proved to be somewhat of a mind and body savior before my 2.5 hour hop over to Taipei. Although it makes for a much longer time traveling, I suggest taking advantage of indirect flights as they certainly break things up a bit. Also, make sure you bring things to keep you entertained, hydrated, and stretched! Much like Liam, I had no point of reference either. I was the first from my university to be accepted, and I have never traveled to Taipei’s neck of the world before either! I was incredibly nervous, and incredibly excited.

What did I gain from the experience?

Liam -

Some of this is almost in-explicable. Academics often talk about ‘the community’. It is always a goal to get your work out to ‘the community’ through conferences and publications. But sitting at my desk in the University of Limerick, down the south-west of Ireland, I didn’t put much weight in this use of the word ‘community’. Even though I had attended conferences and published work I certainly didn’t feel part of it, if ‘it’ existed at all! The Abell Institute was a pivot point in this regard. As I entered the lecture hall in the National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) for the opening ceremony, I felt disconnected and I was timid enough that I didn’t think I would feel anymore connected by the time I left. But that was a faulty conclusion; I clearly hadn’t analysed the data sufficiently!

There were warm, welcoming, and supportive mentors that told us how they could not wait to start working with us. There were also the faces of all my peers that seemed to suggest they felt much like I did, and were very willing to become friends and future colleagues (there were even some who would make it their business to make sure everyone would be friends – cherish these people when you find them!). Why do I spend so much of our allotted word count on this aspect? I do so because while I learned a lot, progressed my thinking, and was both challenged and supported during my time at the Institute, the most impactful thing for me has been that I left the closing ceremony feeling like I was genuinely part of a community.

Noelle –

Liam certainly stole my sentiments. How does one cram a week’s worth of once-in-a-lifetime experiences into just one blog post!? Yes, I am (well, was at the time) a student (candidate now!!), I also work full-time as a 5th, 6th, and 7th grade STEM teacher at a public charter school in Philadelphia, so the “Academic Community” seemed intangible to me. I often prioritize my students’ experiences over my own publications (unplublished, right here…YIKES!). Community-building opportunities are typically lost on me due to being stuck in the middle; while my work-colleagues are out socializing at Happy Hour, I am home reading and writing for my studies. At the same time, while my school-colleagues are preparing conference proposals and publications, I am writing lesson plans, grading papers, and responding to parent emails. Even being an introvert with a small amount of social anxiety, I still craved community. Meeting and connecting with my academic colleagues, outside of my small (albeit, wonderful) cohort was my sole motivation for applying to the Institute and my mission while there.

I started the week with full-blown Imposter Syndrome and a touch of Homesickness. Being the only one still very much connected to the classroom, I knew just one person whom I met (seemingly) lifetimes ago when she was a classroom teacher, and I clung to her that first day. But the Imposter Syndrome and Homesickness slowly started to melt away as we were introduced to our mentors and fellow Institute members, and put into our Critical Friends groups. We quickly began bonding; sharing our experiences as teachers, researchers, and individuals. I got exactly what I went to Taipei for.

So, what happens at the Abell Institute (and how is the community built)?

Liam -

There are workshops and lectures, which are delivered with excellence by undisputed experts in the field. The value that you take from these will vary from person to person depending on your interests and the courses you have already taken in your home institution. But you can be guaranteed that some will change your mind, solidify your thinking, or give you new perspectives. You have time, both structured and unstructured, to talk with these expert mentors about your research and career. You will also be split into groups and assigned two of these mentors to stay with you for the week. In these groups, you will discuss various aspects of your research every day. This is where the community is built and where, in turn, you gain most from being part of the community. The critique, the challenges, the support, the clarification, and the affirmation. It all happens here. You learn to evaluate research of your peers and to develop your ability to critique and give feedback in a constructive way. I cannot oversell the immense value of this space if you engage with it openly and willingly. You develop skills and you develop your thinking.

While in Taipei, we had planned and unplanned opportunities to socialize together – from organized day-trips and meals together, to simply walking the markets at night or just chatting in the common rooms of our shared accommodation. In short, we had fun! And that is part of the joy of the whole experience. Getting to know people in the academic sphere as well as the social one. I feel part of the Abell Alumni community now. The words my supervisor, as she suggested I apply to the Abell Institute, ring in my ear now that it is over: “These will be your colleagues and peers for your whole career.” I put a lot of meaning in that. I was delighted to see Abell Alumni at the recent ESERA conference in Dublin. Never before did I feel so connected, supported, and ultimately, comfortable at a conference.

Noelle –

In addition to everything Liam said, you also learn how to deliver feedback and offer new perspectives. You become attuned to how different people interpret and use different words or constructs in their own research. For example, I think of the word (ahem, construct), “interest” very differently than many of my colleagues. As a result, when one of my Critical Friends was discussing “interest development” as part of their research, I was able to ask for clarification of their meaning and offer the most current research to them. At the same time, I was struggling with my qualitative methodology and was offered many techniques from my mentors and group members.

Even after the Institute, our community continues. We have formed a “WhatsApp” group where we often touch base with each other, or share successes. It is a safe place to ask for advice, or to continue to send goofy photos of each other from our time in Taipei. Another Institute member (shoutout to Katie Bateman of PennState University) described the experience best when making it analogous with the TV show, The Real World. “This is the true story... of [thirty-six] strangers... picked to live in [campus housing], work together, and have their lives [critiqued]... to find out what happens... when people stop being polite... and start getting real...[The SK Abell Institute].” (anyone know how to site this quote in APA?!)

***

This is what we have gained from the Sandra K. Abell Doctoral Institute; but it is so much more than networking, it is an induction into a community. It is a community we both are very glad to be a part of and a community we look forward to seeing at NARST 2018 Annual Conference in Atlanta.

See you there!

Liam Guilfoyle
Noelle Luccioni

Comments